Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: My accent

  1. #11
    Inactive Member DJP's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31st, 2009
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    when i was in school everyone used to ask me where i was from, and that I don't sound like im from here, i was in awe, i never took any steps to sound any dif. and my family is straight hick
    Gate City: 16 State Championships in the 2000s
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Deano68's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2009
    Posts
    76
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    Don't try to be someone you're not. "Southern Voice" by Tim McGraw says it all.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    Quote Originally Posted by steer View Post
    It's not how I pronounce words, or any of that. It's just the way I sound. My voice, it's just....haha...
    I know everybody has the "SW-VA" accent, but mine goes further than that.
    That's the thing though, when I speak, people are really surprised at how fully I pronounce all my words and clearly they're spoken. It's just the thickness and drawn out of this voice.
    It's crazy.
    You dont think its how you pronounce words, but it is.

    its the way you pronounce them. thats what an accent is.

    when you say the word Right, does it sound like 'write' or 'ri-ght'?

    when you go other places up north and out west, itll be easier to pick up chicks, but harder to get a job with an overstated accent

    the only way to fix it is to practice saying words in proper english. you cant change the sound of your voice, but you can change the way you pronounce some words

  4. #14
    Inactive Member cumbousaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 11th, 2007
    Posts
    51
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    Just call the people who make fun of you a bunch of **** Yankees. That shuts them up every time.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    Pretty sure this isn't about a group of people making fun of it or something. I'd say it'd be about future jobs and such, that's taken into consideration for a lot of jobs, esp. one that has anything to do with the public.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    It's easy enough to say "screw 'em" or "ignore them" when talking about being judged by accents. Reality of it is if you want a job outside of your hometown and you're competing against someone with a more neutral accent, the mountain accent will drag you down.

    You can be proud of who you are and where you're from, but stereotyping prevails whether we like it or not. And I'm not going to go hungry or homeless because I refuse to drop the Bold Camp accent.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  7. #17
    Inactive Member imported_blue52's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 14th, 2002
    Posts
    893
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    Ive ran into Steer out in town with some of my other friends who hadnt met him...and had them ask me if he was from Texas haha

  8. #18
    Inactive Member VHSLhelper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2005
    Posts
    861
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    quit listening to and singing along with Tim McGraw. quit immatating John Madden.
    don't say counnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn-try music.
    Watch M*A*S*H and immitate any of those characters (EXCEPT Charles Winchester).

    Seriously, I grew up around guys from all over the country who stopped here for a year or two on there way to a bigger station, so I had great enunciators molding me. When I went to college, ppl. didn't think I was from "back here", and when I came back, ppl. wanted to know where I was from, so I don't have any real advice on how to change it.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    Quote Originally Posted by imported_blue52 View Post
    Ive ran into Steer out in town with some of my other friends who hadnt met him...and had them ask me if he was from Texas haha
    Maybe it's just meant to be... move to Texas and join the other people out there who sound like me haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •